Bevan, Buddy, Patches, Sam and I just finished watching the Oscars and, holy smokes, I cannot believe that that just happened hashtag Moonlight.
Second of all, on the day of the Academy Awards telecast I sometimes post a super time-consuming recap of all of the Oscar-eligible movies that I've seen (here's 2009, 2010 and 2014) but because I'm totally phoning it in for most aspects of my life these days (just kidding, manager at work) I'm gonna save myself like three hours and whole lotta trouble and just list a handful of things that I enjoyed about tonight's awards ceremony instead.
- Michael J. Fox and Seth Rogen singing a song from Hamilton
- John Legend singing two songs from La La Land
- Benj Pasek, who had just won an Oscar for Best Song, thanking his mom for letting him quit the soccer team to be in the school musical
- Sara Bareilles singing "Both Sides Now"
- Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's banter
Matt Damon: And guest. Wow. Really?
Ben Affleck: Yeah. You know, it's like a plus-one.
Matt Damon: I know what a guest is, man.
Oh, and I think it bears mentioning that tonight marks the five-year anniversary of the first time Bevan and I ever spoke words to one another. Some mutual friends of ours were hosting a small Academy Awards viewing party in their screening room and Bevan spent the whole night giving me the cold shoulder because, as he'd tell me later, he thought I was straight.
Lastly, Emma Stone's speech was aight, but I loved the honesty in this line:
"…a moment like this is a huge confluence of luck and opportunity."